1. The J A B Jacobsen Prize of the value of £750 is awarded from funds donated to the University by Mr Jacobsen, who was concerned to propagate a better understanding of life as a universal concept, in the interests of minimising egocentricity, nationalism, and sectarianism.
2. Essays should have a title and may be on a topic in any area of Philosophy. A candidate may submit only one essay. If the Jacobsen Committee so advise, the Prize may be shared.
3. The Prize is open to all current research students of the University of London.
4. Essays must be prepared for anonymous blind-review. Submissions which are not anonymized will not be considered. Candidates should give their details (including the College to which they belong and the degree for which they are registered) in a separate file.
5. Please submit your anonymized essay and the file with your details electronically to IP@sas.ac.uk with “Jacobsen Essay 2023” in the subject header by 23:59 Friday 26th May 2023. Essays should be in English and not exceed 5,000 words.
6. The Prize will be awarded by the University on the advice of the Jacobsen Committee. The University's decision is final.