Wednesday 12 February 2020
Newton International Fellowships
The Institute of Philosophy, at the School of Advanced Study, is currently accepting expressions of interest from qualified applicants for the Newton International Fellowships scheme. The Scheme aims to attract the most promising early career postdoctoral researchers from overseas in the humanities.
Fellows would be expected to contribute to the intellectual environment of the Institute, and work in collaboration with philosophers based in the UK. Fellowships are tenable for up to two years with a start date between 1st October 2020 and 31st March 2021. They include a subsistence award of up to £24,000 per year, up to £8,000 per year for research expenses and a one-off payment of up to £3,000 for relocation expenses (£2,000 for EEA nationals).
If your interests are relevant to those of the Institute of Philosophy (see https://philosophy.sas.ac.uk/about), and you meet the eligibility criteria (see below), we welcome your expression of interest. This should include
- a CV,
- a paragraph describing adherence to eligibility criteria
- a 100-word abstract, and
- a brief outline (2 pages maximum) of the research proposal, including intended publications and how the proposal research mutually benefits the UK host researcher.
The expression of interest should be sent to IP@sas.ac.uk by 5pm on 21st February 2020 using the subject heading ‘Newton Fellowship - [YOUR FULL NAME]’
- Applicants must have a PhD, or be in the final stages of their PhD, provided it will be completed (including viva) by the start of the fellowship.
- Applicants should have no more than 7 years of active full time postdoctoral experience at the time of application (discounting career breaks, but including teaching experience and/or time spent in industry).
- Applicants must be working outside the UK, must not hold UK citizenship, must be competent in oral and written English,
Confirmation of support from the School will be communicated directly to applicants by the research services office by the 28th February
Once approved, the further application process will be coordinated by the School Research Services.
Further information and details of the onwards process can be found here: https://sas.ac.uk/support-research/fellowships/externally-funded-fellowships/newton-international-fellowships